316 or 316L, is the secondly common used stainless steel alloy in stainless steel investment casting process.
316 Stainless Steel
Type 316 stainless steel is an austenitic stainless steel that differs with grade 304 through the addition of molybdenum, which increases its resistance to chemical corrosion and marine environments. 316 stainless steel alloy is ideal for casting components especially for marine application.
316L Stainless Steel
316L stainless steel is an extra low carbon version of 316, this is easy to remember, as the L stands for “low.” But even though it has less carbon, 316L is very similar to 316 in almost every way. Cost is very similar, and both are durable, corrosion-resistant, and a good choice for high-stress situations.
|316 & 316L Stainless Steel Compositions|
|316||0.08 max.||2.00 max.||0.045 max.||0.03 max.||0.75 max.||16.00-18.00||10.00-14.00||2.00-3.00||0.10 max.|
|316L||0.03 max.||2.00 max.||0.045 max.||0.03 max.||0.75 max.||16.00-18.00||10.00-14.00||2.00-3.00||0.10 max.|
Features of 316/316L Stainless Steel
- Excellent corrosion resistance and strength properties
- High creep strength, stress-to-rupture and tensile strength at high temperatures
- Resistant to rust, sodium and calcium brines
- Annealing, or heat treating, can be done between 1,900 – 2,100°F (1,038 to 1,149°C)
Process of 316(L) Stainless Steel Casting
The investment casting process has been around for thousands of years and can be used to make 316 or 316L stainless steel castings in different shapes. The process involves a number of steps:
- Making a mold according to 3d file.
- Filling the mold with wax to creat wax patterns, inspect and modify the patterns if there is any defect.
- Weld the wax patterns to form a assembly.
- Dipping the wax into ceramic slurry to form a shell.
- Heating the ceramic shell to remove the wax.
- Pouring the molten shell.
- Breaking off the shell, and shot blasting or operate other surface finishing.
CFS Stainless Steel Foundry has rich experience in casting 316 stainless steel and 316L stainless steel for a variety of applications, including marine hardwares, boat fittings, exhaust manifolds, valve and pump parts, etc. As the top leading stainless steel casting manufacturer in China, our company can customize 316 and 316L stainless steel castings in different sizes and shapes. Besides, we can also provide extra machining and surface treatment services following our customer’s idea. Any inquiry on 316 or 316L stainless steel casting, pls do not hesitate to contact us!