Duplex 2205 stainless steel is an advanced quality duplex stainless steel alloy that contains at least 22% chromium, 6% nickel and 3% molybdenum. It provides incredibly good strength against fatigue and excellent corrosion protection against pitting, erosion, cracking and more. This stainless steel alloy also provides superior mechanical strength than lower grade alloys, with approximately twice the proof of strength of austenitic stainless steel. The yield strength of 2205 is nearly twice as that of 300 series stainless steel. These features make 2205 duplex stainless steel suitable for stainless steel investment casting process. 2205 duplex stainless steel castings are widely used in industries such as oil and gas, petrochemical, sporting, etc.
|Chemical Composition- 2205 Duplex Stainless Steel
2205 Duplex Stainless Steel Casting Process
2205 duplex stainless steel casting process is actually a lost wax investment casting process that produces near-net shape stainless steel parts using the following steps:
- Wax is injected into a die to produce a pattern
- Patterns are affixed to a wax runner bar to create an assembly called a “tree”
- A robot dips the tree into a slurry to build up a ceramic shell
- The wax is melted out of the shell using heat and pressure
- The dewaxed ceramic shell is fired at 2000 degrees in a kiln
- Metal is poured into the fired shell
- The ceramic shell is knocked off the casting
Advantages of 2205 Duplex Stainless Steel Casting
2205 duplex stainless steel casting is a cost effective solution for many applications where the 300 series stainless steel castings are susceptible to chloride stress corrosion cracking. Stress corrosion cracking occurs when stainless steel castings are subjected to tensile stress, while in contact with solutions containing chlorides. Increasing temperatures also increase the susceptibility of stainless steel castings to stress corrosion cracking.
The combination of chromium, molybdenum and nitrogen convey the good resistance of 2205 stainless steel castings to chloride pitting and crevice corrosion. This resistance is extremely important for services such as marine environments, brackish water, bleaching operations, closed loop water systems and some food processing applications. The high chromium, molybdenum and nitrogen contents of 2205 stainless steel castings provide corrosion resistance superior to common stainless steel castings, such as, 316L and 317L in most environments.
Applications of 2205 Stainless Steel Castings
- Chemical process vessels, piping and heat exchangers
- Food processing equipment
- Oil field piping and heat exchangers
- Flue gas desulfurization equipment
- Other industries like sporting, glass fittings, etc
Actually, in China, few stainless steel foundries can make 2205 duplex stainless steel castings. But in CFS Foundry, you can find a good solution for your duplex stainless steel casting project. Any inquiry on 2205 duplex stainless steel casting, pls feel free to contact us!