Turbo elbow adapter flange is the 90° elbow flange assembled in the t3/t4 turbocharger, which is designed to be used on engines displacing 1.6L-2.5L and is typically good for around 400HP. They are also commonly used in twin turbo applications.
For a long time there were only cheap cast iron solutions with much too much height and poor quality. But now, the turbo elbow adapter flange is mainly made from cast 304 stainless steel with highest quality.
Stainless steel casting is a smart choice for turbo elbow adapter flange, which offers the standard corrosion resistance, strength, and easy maintenance for which stainless is known.. It is cost-effective in comparison to other materials. The high quality and durability ensures that turbo elbow adapter flange lasts a long time.
Process: Stainless Steel Investment Casting
Stainless steel investment casting is a lost wax stainless steel casting process, which consists of several different stages, starting with the creation of a wax model.
The main steps usually comprise of:
- Cutting an aluminium tool from the 3D CAD information
- Creating an original positive model for a component in wax from the tooling
- The wax is assembled on a runner system (‘tree’)
- A ceramic shell is built around the assembly via a dipping and drying process (investment)
- The shell is dewaxed with high-pressure steam and fired in an oven to provide mechanical strength
- Molten stainless steel is poured into the pre-heated shell
- The ceramic is broken off once the stainless steel cools
- The parts are cut from the ‘tree’
- Ingate (feed positions) are ground off
- If required, setting, finishing and machining are done
- Inspection and specified NDT requirements
Due to the nature of the process, investment casting of stainless steel turbo elbow adapter flange can be held to much tighter tolerances than other processes This can be important and can avoid machining or other finishing operations. Stainless steel investment casting offers near net-shape, thus reducing costly machining time. Due to the thin wall of turbo elbow adapter flange, stainless steel investment casting produce substantially less scrap rates.
CFS Stainless Steel Foundry is skilled at stainless steel investment casting and machining for turbo elbow adapter flange. If you have any inquiry, pls feel free to send us your drawings for a free quote!